Thursday, December 23, 2010

2010 Highlights Part 2: Back to School


Leo Buscaglia said that every time we learn something new, we become new. And that is what happened to me when I went back to school to study Spanish last March. I LOVE going to school so much that everyday that I have class I wake up feeling excited like a little girl going on her first school field trip. Since started studying Spanish, I feel I have become a bigger person in terms of perspective. It is such a real joy because I know that the more that I become more, the more that I can share.

And boy, am I soo excited to share. When I start teaching, I think I will be the most enthusiastic, hyper, crazy teacher my students will ever see. I can't wait to start and finish my M.A. and go back to teaching.

New Environment

There are lots of ways to learn Spanish here in the Philippines but to me, it's Instituto Cervantes or nothing at all. Cervantes isn't just a language school. It is an Atheneum, in the definition of ancient Greeks. (don't know how to define it.) It has an environment that makes possible osmosis of learning. From the architecture to the walls that we can write on, the wonderful school director and staff, free cultural activities, social gatherings (free food!), book festival, film festival, free performances, lectures, talks, World Cup celebrations -- Instituto Cervantes has everything I wanted when I was still in school but was too insecure and inhibited and stupid to actively participate in. Even so, nobody does these things better than Instituto Cervantes. And now that I'm there, I am taking out the marrow out of it, so to speak.

New People

I have also met interesting people while I was studying at Instituto Cervantes. Most of the teachers I had were great teachers. From them, I learned a lot about pedagogy and interactive teaching strategies. The Romantic that I am, I also fell in love with a number of my teachers there. Hotness is a young, intelligent, funny, sexy, gorgeous professor speaking Spanish. Grrrrr!

Like-minded people go to the same places. Although many students at Instituto study to be bilingual call center agents, still there are some people who go there for more, hmmmm, Romantic reasons. I met Tita Evelyn who at the age of 50 is still brimming with enthusiasm for life that will put to shame fresh high school graduates. She still has that youthful exuberance that fades in us when we start working for money and security, I think. When I reach that age, God I hope I'll be as exuberant and life-affirming as she.

I met new friends Ron, Jenimar, Meljean, Angel, Sarang, Malou, Minerva, Dang that makes going to Cervantes everyday feel like I was going home. Enough of the "quasi-philosopher-always-alone-and-thinking-and-writing" image of college years. Being a smart ass isn't cool. Having a circle of friends to enjoy learning with is. I am thankful to God for sprinkling us the magic of friendship. Really, it's magic when friendship is formed. Effort is needed, yes, but effort alone won't make it. Magic.

New Me

Nobody may have noticed but who I am today, December 23, 2010 is in a way a different person to who I was last February 2010. I notice it in the way that I relate with people, the way I choose from among different good things, the way I think, the way I live my life. Subtle, subtle changes. A day that I learn something new is always a wonderful day. A day that I go to Instituto Cervantes to study Spanish is always a wonderful day. I hope to come back to Instituto real soon. Next year, I hope to continue becoming more and more. I hope to share more and more.

No comments: